Saturday 9 August 2014

What are some quotes about the conflict of "Raymond's Run" by Toni Cade Bambara?

One of the main conflicts in this story focuses on Squeaky and her running ability.  She's a great runner.  In fact, nobody has ever beaten her (except her father).  Squeaky is proud of that reputation; however, she knows that she has to work to keep that reputation by training hard and frequently.  The following quote is about her dedication to her craft. 


Now some people like to act like things come easy to them, won’t let on that they practice. Not me. I’ll high-prance down 34th Street like a rodeo pony to keep my knees strong . . . 



On the day of the May Day races, Squeaky is verbally challenged about her winning streak.  Rosie comes up to Squeaky and taunts her.  



“I don’t think you’re going to win this time,” says Rosie . . . 



Of course Squeaky feels the need to defend her title, but Squeaky doesn't feel that her legs should do all of the work.  She responds with a taunt of her own.



“I always win cause I’m the best,” I say straight at Gretchen who is, as far as I’m concerned, the only one talking in this ventriloquist-dummy routine.



This verbal exchange goes on for a bit; however, it changes to focus on a second conflict in the story.  Squeaky feels the need to protect her older brother, Raymond.   She tells readers this in the beginning of the story.  



And I don’t play the dozens or believe in standing around with somebody in my face doing a lot of talking. I much rather just knock you down and take my chances even if I am a little girl with skinny arms and a squeaky voice, which is how I got the name Squeaky.



But it's when the three girls are taunting Squeaky and Raymond that readers get to see Squeaky's protection of her brother in action.  



“What grade you in now, Raymond?”


“You got anything to say to my brother, you say it to me, Mary Louise Williams of Raggedy Town, Baltimore.”


“What are you, his mother?” sasses Rosie.


“That’s right, Fatso. And the next word out of anybody and I’ll be their mother too.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

How are race, gender, and class addressed in Oliver Optic's Rich and Humble?

While class does play a role in Rich and Humble , race and class aren't addressed by William Taylor Adams (Oliver Opic's real name) ...