Monday 11 August 2014

Compare and contrast in detail the words of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" to Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself." Be sure to include quotes from both...

To compare the similarities between Lady Gaga's lyrics and Whitman's poem, we can look at the writers' respective attitudes toward God. The opening lines of "Born This Way" are:


"It doesn't matter if you love him or capital H-I-M, / Just put your paws up / 'Cause you were born this way, baby"


and later, she writes:


"He made you perfect, babe" and "I'm beautiful in my way / 'Cause God makes no mistakes."



Lady Gaga's message seems to be that she believes God made her what she is and made you what you are, and that we're all beautiful because we embody the inspiration of the divine.


Whitman's outlook on God seems similar when you consider these lines:



"And I know that the hand of God is the promise of my own, / And I know that the spirit of God is the brother of my own, / And that all the men ever born are also my brothers, and the / women my sisters and lovers / And that a kelson of the creation is love."



Like "Born This Way," "Song of Myself" acknowledges that God made us all, and what holds us all together is His love. Whitman expresses a sentiment similar to Lady Gaga's assertion that "I'm beautiful in my way / 'cause God makes no mistakes" when he observes, "Ah the homeliest of them is beautiful..."


To contrast the two, Whitman seems to be at peace with his mortality, evident when he writes, "Has any one supposed it lucky to be born? / I hasten to inform him or her it is just as lucky to die, and I / know it." Lady Gaga's lyric is more about being in the moment when she writes, "I must be myself, respect my youth" and "I love my life." "Born This Way" is a celebration of self-acceptance, embraces the moment, and expresses optimism about the future; Gaga asserts that she is "on the right track" while Whitman seems to suggest that he is timeless—and while he enjoys his earthly life, he believes his spirit will transcend his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are race, gender, and class addressed in Oliver Optic's Rich and Humble?

While class does play a role in Rich and Humble , race and class aren't addressed by William Taylor Adams (Oliver Opic's real name) ...