Thursday 3 July 2014

What are quotes that indicate that Curley‘s wife is unhappy with her life?

In Of Mice and Men, there are a lot of quotations that show Curley's wife is unhappy with her life. In chapter 4, for example, she reflects on the life she could have had:


An' a guy tol' me he could put me in pitchers . . .


In this same section, she notes that instead of having the life of a movie star, she's stuck, left talking to a "bunch of bindle stiffs."...

In Of Mice and Men, there are a lot of quotations that show Curley's wife is unhappy with her life. In chapter 4, for example, she reflects on the life she could have had:



An' a guy tol' me he could put me in pitchers . . .



In this same section, she notes that instead of having the life of a movie star, she's stuck, left talking to a "bunch of bindle stiffs." This shows that Curley's wife has some regrets from her past.


Later, in chapter 5, she says,



I never get to talk to nobody. I get awful lonely.



For Curley's wife, life on the ranch is oppressive and isolating. Instead of living an exciting and meaningful life, she is trapped in an unhappy marriage with Curley. In chapter 4, she says to Lennie,



I'm glad you bust up Curley a little bit. He got it comin' to him. Sometimes I'd like to bust him myself.



In other words, she regrets her marriage to Curley. He is abusive towards her, leaving her feeling resentful towards him. Curley's wife is, therefore, unhappy, lonely, and surrounded by people who consider her to be "jailbait." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are race, gender, and class addressed in Oliver Optic's Rich and Humble?

While class does play a role in Rich and Humble , race and class aren't addressed by William Taylor Adams (Oliver Opic's real name) ...